February 28, 2012 by Jennifer
Here’s a new feature on Meijer that I’m really excited about. Every week I’ll be posting new recipes that include the sale items from the weekly Meijer Ad compliments of Lisa at Cooking Up A Sale. Lisa is a West Michigan wife and mother who loves to spend time in the kitchen. She enjoys the challenges of menu-planning around grocery sales and creating delicious food using on-sale ingredients. Lisa blogs about two of her favorite topics ~ FOOD, and saving money on groceries!
Sale prices may vary from store to store so be sure to check your weekly Meijer Ad for the exact prices at your store.
Orange-Glazed Pork Loin
(Sale Ingredients From Meijer Ad Week of 2/26/12 – 3/3/12)
Sale Ingredients Used:
- center cut boneless half pork loin ($1.79/lb)
- orange juice ($2.50/59 oz carton)
- brown sugar ($2.69/4 lbs)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 center cut boneless half pork loin
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- If a half pork loin is an overwhelming amount of food for your family, just cut it in half and freeze half of it before cooking/baking.
- If you decide to bake only half of the half pork loin, total oven time should be only 2 1/4 hours instead of 2 3/4 hours.
- I have used pineapple juice in place of orange juice with equally yummy results.
- Make Pork BBQ with the leftovers!
- Fresh Asparagus ($.99/lb)
- Kraft Parmesan cheese ($1.54 each wyb 5 + $3.00 off produce – see HERE for details)
- Carapelli Olive Oil (25% off)
- 1 bunch of fresh asparagus, washed, with tough ends broken off
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 of an envelope of dry Italian salad dressing mix
Options and Tips:
- When selecting asparagus, try to find a bunch that has spears similar in size/thickness. If you absolutely cannot find a bunch that is fairly uniform, you can still cook it uniformly! Just remove the pan from the oven after 10-12 minutes, remove the skinnier spears to a serving bowl, and return the pan to the oven for another minute or two to further cook the thicker spears.
- To prep asparagus: after washing, hold each spear in two hands. One hand should be about 3/4 of the way down, and the other hand should hold the tough end. Bend the spear, and it should break in just about the right place. Discard the tough ends.
- I almost always double this recipe, and if I line it up just right, I can fit two bunches on a jelly roll pan…just barely! The spears are usually too long to fit two rows end to end but if you alternate pieces, it works. Picture coming, because I don’t think I can do a good job of explaining this 🙂 I’d rather fit them all on one pan if I can, rather than have to rotate pans between racks during the baking time.
Fruity Lettuce Salad
- Dole Salad Blends bagged lettuce ($2.00)
- fresh strawberries ($1.50/lb)
- red grapes (88 cents/lb)
- Kraft shredded mozzarella cheese ($1.33 each or less wyb 5 – see HERE for details)
- Kraft Creamy Poppyseed dressing ($1.99)
- 1 bag of salad lettuce (anything with only lettuce…no carrots, red cabbage, etc)
- 1 1/2 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 1/2 cups red grapes (halved if desired, or leave whole)
- 1 – 15 oz can mandarin oranges, drained (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 of a 3.5 oz bag Almond Accents – Honey Roasted flavor (coupon in the 2/29/12 Smart Source insert), OR approximately 1 cup of candied almonds, walnuts, or pecans
- poppyseed dressing, as desired
- The measurements do not have to be exact. We like “a little lettuce in our salad” for this recipe, but you might like more lettuce and less toppings.
- Make sure to wait until the last minute to put the salad together (it gets soggy quickly), but you can easily prep everything ahead. If I’m taking this salad to a gathering, I just wash, cut up, and/or drain the fruit, bag everything up separately in ziploc bags or containers, and then throw the salad together when we get to our destination. You shouldn’t have a problem with soggy leftovers though, because you probably won’t have any!
- Don’t limit yourself to the fruits listed above…get creative! You can use blueberries, raspberries, or apples in place of the grapes and strawberries.
- When there isn’t any fresh fruit on sale, you can use two cans of mandarin oranges instead.
- Almond Accents are kind of expensive, so it’s something I stock up on when I see it on sale or as an in-store special. Alternatively, you can make your own candied nuts: Stir 1 cup of pecan halves, walnut pieces, or slivered or sliced almonds and 1/2 cup of sugar together over medium heat. Continually stir and toss together until sugar begins to melt and carmelize over the nuts. Watch closely…you want the sugar to get slightly brown, without burning. As soon as most of the melted sugar is light brown, remove from heat. Transfer to a heat-proof plate and allow to cool. Break apart if necessary, and use for salad topping.
Here are some previous recipes which also include items on sale at Meijer this week:
- Beef Fried Rice Sale ingredients: eye of round steak (use in place of top round steak), asparagus, olive oil
- French Toast Bake Sale ingredients: Meijer brand canned cinnamon rolls
- Chicken Parmesan Sale ingredients: fresh boneless, skinless chicken breast, Kraft Parmesan cheese
- Not Your Average Chicken Spaghetti Sale ingredients: fresh boneless, skinless chicken breast, Kraft Mexican blend cheese, milk
- Easy Pork Dinner Sale ingredients: center cut half pork loin, Campbells golden mushroom and French Onion soups
- Pork Barbeque Sale ingredients: center cut half pork loin, brown sugar, Aunt Millie’s Hamburger Buns
- Broccoli Apple Salad Sale ingredients: organic fresh broccoli, apples, John Morrell bacon, Kraft mayonnaise
- Grilled Sandwiches Sale ingredients: various deli meats and cheeses, whatever leftover cooked meat you have from making other meals, Basha hummus, Margaritaville dips, Kraft mayonnaise
Need more coupons? Check the FREE Coupon Database for all available coupons.
NEVER MISS ANOTHER DEAL - Subscribe to the Meijer Madness Daily Deal Updates